gas safety certificates Kent, gas safety certificate, gas safe engineers Kent
Gas Safety
Gas Safe qualified gas engineers in Kent

Approved Gas Safe Engineers


Carbon Monoxide: The Silent Killer

What is Carbon Monoxide?

You can’t see it, you can’t smell it and you can’t taste it.

Yet staying safe from the danger of carbon monoxide is simple if you follow the easy guide below.

Carbon monoxide (CO) is produced whenever any fuel such as gas, oil, kerosene, wood, or charcoal is burned. 

You can’t see or smell carbon monoxide, but at high levels it can kill a person in minutes.

Be Aware of the Warning Signs

Could your home have high CO levels? The following are some warning signs to watch for:

  • Stains, soot around a gas fire, water heater or boiler
  • Increased condensation inside your windows
  • An appliance that burns with a yellow or orange flame instead of a blue one

Dangerous Symptoms

CO poisoning is often mistaken for the flu, as it creates nausea, sickness, and headaches. Other symptoms include stomach pains, general tiredness and fatigue.

If you suffer from any of these symptoms, you may require immediate medical attention. One of the biggest dangers of CO poisoning is that the symptoms can be easily missed or mistaken for the flu; causing the person to remain indoors and further expose themselves to the noxious gas.

Play if Safe

  • Open windows and doors – leave the house!
  • Seek fresh air immediately
  • Go to an emergency room and inform a doctor that you may be suffering from CO poisoning